$12.00 Hourly Onwards
This position is responsible for providing prompt and courteous service to customers and professional contractors while loading or unloading lumber and/or building supplies in the lumber yard and/or at job sites. Additional responsibilities include, but not limited to, building loads for delivery, operating a forklift when required, carrying shingles and drywall on jobsite deliveries, as well as assisting management in maintaining a safe, clean and well organized lumber yard.
Responsibilities of Position
- Greet customers or professional contractors in a friendly manner upon entry into the yard or Home Retail Center.
- Load materials into customers' vehicles or on to company delivery vehicles, after validating type and quantity based on the record of the transaction from the company's point-of-sale system.
- Unload incoming freight, taking care not to damage the incoming goods or the equipment that belongs to the carrier.
- Operate forklift to merchandise and stock yard and warehouse.
- Accurately build loads and prepare materials for delivery before delivery takes place.
- Assist CDL truck drivers in the delivery of merchandise to homeowners and job sites using company equipment (including the manual labor of unloading drywall, shingles, lumber and building materials).
- Respond to customer inquiries regarding product selection, placement of orders, requests for prices and quotations, scheduling of deliveries and installations, and providing customer follow-ups as necessary.
- Responsible for maintaining inventory, product displays, and pricing labels within assigned area in regard to merchandising standards by stocking, facing, straightening, and cleaning or any other task necessary to maintain appearance of products within lumberyard.
- Perform other assigned job duties and responsibilities in the showroom and yard as requested by the Store Manager.
- Previous knowledge of building materials, applications, related equipment, and/or construction industry is desired, but not required.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) when dealing with vendors, customers, management, and team members
- Must be able to work both indoors and outdoors under adverse weather conditions.
- The physical demands of the position requires an individual to have the ability to bend, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, and be able to frequently lift and/or move between 50 - 100 pounds.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding and carry out simple one or two-step instructions.
- Ability to provide professional customer service and work in a team-oriented environment.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- 1 year of prior related work experience preferred.
- Highly organized with a strong attention to detail.
- Flexibility to successfully multi-task in a fast paced environment, working with multiple team members.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including weekends and holidays.
- Successful applicants are subject to pre-employment drug testing, pre-employment background check and driver history checks in accordance with applicable federal and state law.
R.P. Lumber Co. offers the following opportunities and benefits (Full-Time employees):
- Competitive wages based upon experience.
- Health / Dental / Vision / Term Life & Short Term Disability Insurance
- Profit Sharing / 401k
- Paid time-off & holidays
- Employee Merchandise Discount
Candidates who meet our selection criteria will be contacted by phone or email for the next step in our hiring process.
Thank you for your interest in our position. We appreciate the time you have taken to apply with us. Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
R.P. Lumber Co., Inc. (“R.P. Lumber Co.) is committed to providing equal opportunity in all employment practices, including but not limited to selection, hiring, promotion, transfer, and compensation to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, sex, religion, handicap or disability, citizenship status, service member status, genetic information or any other category protected by federal or state law.